A vaginal yeast infection is a common complaint among women. This infection is usually caused by a type of yeast called Candida albicans. Fortunately, this type of infection is harmless and usually easy to treat. Symptoms you might experience are:
- Itching and redness in the pubic area.
- White dots on the mucous membrane of the vagina.
- Abundant and odourless discharge. Does the discharge have a strong odour? In this case it is probably a bacterial infection and not a fungus. We advise you to contact your doctor if you suspect you might have a bacterial infection.
- Pain when urinating. Often this is thought to be caused by a bladder infection. However, both infection can occur simultaneously.
A vaginal yeast infection is usually easy to treat with a cream or vaginal ovules, which are available without a prescription. To determine which product is most suitable, we advise you to contact your pharmacist or doctor.
If the symptoms have not disappeared after completing your treatment or if they recur frequently, we recommend you to consult your doctor.
- Wash your vagina with (lukewarm) water only.
- Do not use (fragranced) vaginal showers.
- Do not wear clothes that are too tight and choose for cotton underwear.
- Progyn is a dietary supplement developed to maintain the natural balance between bacteria and fungi in the vagina.